Who am I?
Hi! I'm Catalin and I do a bunch of stuff. Mostly writing characters on my keyboard.
- When to move on
What goes through my head while considering a new job. A highly subjective post on how to approach new opportunities.
- CSS tidbits - How to hide an element on focus lost
- One way of building a toggle element
The toggle element is an often needed element in front end development, and this is one way of building it.
- How to setup reusable animations with Angular
How to make your Angular apps prettier, more user friendly, and overall more whimsical
- One problem that is now solved by CSS Subgrid
How to use CSS Subgrid to solve the problem around aligning content in different columns
- How to automate your process with git hooks
How to use lint-staged and husky to automate your linting and testing between commits.
- One way of building an SVG icon library for your project
Here's how I created a reusable icon library for a big Angular project I'm working on.
- My year in review - 2022 edition
A short review on 2022 from my personal perspective. A micro review where I evaluate decisions, learnings, tools and books.
- How to add Storybook and Chromatic to your Angular monorepo
Here's how I added Storybook and Chromatic to an Angular monorepo. Step by step instructions and issues that I had.
- When to use NativeScript? Learn from my mistakes.
I implemented NativeScript for a huge product, and it didn't work out that well. Here are my mistakes so you won't repeat them.
- How to stay up to date
Here are some tips and resources on how to stay up to date as a web developer
- Responsive and animated Chat UI with CSS Grid
Here's how I created a responsive UI for a Chat system. This UI looks good on all screens and has smooth transitions.
- SocketIO with Angular but without a wrapper package
Here's how to use SocketIO within your Angular app, without relying on a wrapping npm package
- Centralized navigation in Angular with a SiteNavigation Service
How to keep your app URLs maintainable in a constantly growing codebase
- I tried Turborepo and I liked it
How TurboRepo compares to my previous experiences and how to set it up with very little effort
- Organise imports with Prettier and friends
How to make sure that your imports are properly organised and separated using tools like Prettier
- Efficient Content Hydration with Angular Universal
How to make sure that the server and the browser don't do the same work twice
- User preferred language with Angular Universal
How to use Angular and Angular Universal to make sure you serve content in the correct language
- Server Status Codes with Angular
How to use different status codes like 404, 400, 301 etc. with Angular Universal
- Test Driven Development in an Angular World - Part 3
Testing the Smart Component
- Test Driven Development in an Angular World - Part 2
Testing the HttpService
- Test Driven Development in an Angular World - Part 1
How to test a component in the real world using Angular and Jest